Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Habits

The other day I was talking to my sister-in-law, Stacie, about cleaning the house. She was shocked to find out that I did it all by my self and that my kids didn't help me. She told me she didn't know how I did it (I don't do it, my house isn't ever really clean), and that she couldn't do it without her kids helping her. She writes some different pieces of paper what needs to be done, and they pick out of a bowl, and together they clean each room (I think). She told me that she lets them go buy a toy or something after a week or so of helping her. I thought that was a good idea, and since Ryan heard her tell me that her kids help her, it was easier for me to get him to cooperate. He's always telling me his friends NEVER have to help clean, yah right. He actually got quite excited about the whole thing. It's been over a week now and we've been doing really good. I have a point system though. Well first off we went to St. George a couple weeks ago and I let them pick out some toys they get to earn. I figure if I have them there at the house and they can actually see what they have to earn they might be more willing and actually want to clean. I have a problem with consistently, I start something and never finish :o) They each picked out a pack of three Bakugans. (This is a Bakugan, for those of you who may not know what one is. It starts out as a ball and transforms into....well whatever that is)I told them they have to earn five points to earn one Bakugan. They get a point each day for helping me clean, and if they don't fight all day, they can earn another point. That hasn't happened yet though, hahahaha. I also just added another way they can earn points. If I ask them to do something and they do it without complaining, and just do it, they could earn 1/4 a point. I say "could" because I don't want them to think every single time they help me they are going to get a point. I don't want them to help me just so they will get a point. But sometimes they will. Although Ryan almost had five points last week, they both ticked me off so bad because they wouldn't stop fighting, I took all their points away and they had to start over. I'm so mean :o) Jack did finally earn one of his Bakugans today though, and Ryan only needs a 1/2 a point to earn one. They have been so willing to do things for me so they can earn more points, I just hope it turns into a habit to help me all the time. Good habits have to start somewhere right? Thanks for the good idea Stac

1 comment:

~ Stacie ~ said...

You are welcome!
Just a suggestion,
I don't like making things too complicated and keeping track of things such as points, because I usually end up for getting or not following through. Also watching nanny 911, I had seen on their that it is not good to take points away and make them start all over. They worked hard for those points. Maybe punishing in a different way such as: no tv, time outs, no friends, etc.... maybe you can have your cleaning list separate form your good behavior chart. That way they are still being rewarded for their help/work they have done. Also A good thing that has seemed to work in our house is letting them come up with their punishment. (we both have to agree of course) But they take and remember their punishments a lot better I think when they help in the punishment process. Try sitting down with your kids and talk about your plans and have them think of different punishments for different scenarios and if a new scenario arises ask them how they think they need to be punished for it. You can help also by making suggestions. But whatever works for your family works and thats GREAT these are just suggestions!