Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I am really trying to decide what the heck is going on with me! First of all, yesterday I was just fine, not tired at all! I don’t know if it was because I put some caffeine in my drink, or if I would have been fine anyways. I had Sandy pick me up some Mito2Max, so I went and got that yesterday, but today I feel great. Maybe I’ll hold off on taking them and see how I feel. Maybe I will just have them on hand for those days I feel unmotivated and tired!

I’ve been trying to rack my brain to figure out exactly how I’m going to make this shelf for my bathroom, to be more specific my toilet room. I’ve found several different pallet shelves on pinterest that I really like. One has some extraordinary plans, one has some half plans, and one is just a picture. So figuring out EXACTALLY what needs to be done and in what order, is a little tricky. Figuring the best way for the shelves to be sturdy enough to hold anything, I gotta really thing about this.

20150203_150157

So this is what I started out with after taking apart all my pallets.  And by the way, the easiest way to take the pallets apart (according to me) is with an ELECTRIC sawsall. 

20150203_151139

Okay, so this is there I want some shelves, and I also want to build a little wall that covers that nasty water heater!  I’ve decided on the approximate dimensions of 65” tall, 22” wide, and about 18” deep.  I think my shelves ended up being more like 20” deep though. 

20150203_151252

So, I picked out my wood, what I thought would work the best.   With pallets sometimes its hard to find pieces that aren't’ cracked or broken, so have to keep that in mind.  I needed to cut them 20” long, so I could get 2 out of each good board.

20150203_151516

Make sure to measure each of them with the measuring tape.  At first I only measured the first one then used that one as a guide, but they didn’t all come out to exactly 20” and I had to cut them again.  Good thing I did one shelf at a time instead of doing one step at a time with each shelf, if that makes sense.

20150203_15250920150203_153457

All my wood cut and ready.  It’s a good idea to sand all your wood at this point.  A word to the wise, damp wood doesn’t sand very well.  I know that’s probably a no duh.  My wood has been sitting outside for several weeks and its been raining, so they are slightly damp. 

20150203_155659

I laid out my wood, I was going to throw a wider piece of wood in there, but I didn’t end up liking it, so I just did 5 of the regular pieces.  Oh and never throw away your scrap wood!  I used the pallets pieces that weren’t quite good enough for the shelf part to hold the pieces of the self together. 

20150203_155822

Make sure your screw is long enough, but not too long to go through both pieces of wood. 

20150203_155831

Pre drilling is a must if you don’t want to split the wood.

20150203_16323120150203_163239

Here is my first shelf all ready to go!  I finished all 5 of my selves last night.  They still need to go through the sander again now that they are all assembled, but I need to let them dry a bit more.  It was nice last night since Brenden was out in the garage working on his own project.  There were a couple times he noticed there was an easier way of doing something, so he got me the appropriate tool.  I just thought it was fun to be out in the garage working side by side with him, taking turns with the saw, sander, tape measure, and pencil. 

No comments: