Monday, July 20, 2009

Power Hungry

I really think I have a problem. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem? Okay, I guess I've been analyzing myself lately. I'm just trying to understand why I react the way I do sometimes. I need to work on being better, and I figure I need to figure out why I am the way I am. I feel like my kids don't listen to a word I say to them, and it's not just a feeling, they really don't listen half the time because I ask them. When they don't listen to me, or do things that I ask, I get a little upset. I think because of this I feel like I need more control, and more power. So when they ask if they can do something as simple as go get a snow cone, my first reaction is to spit out the word "NO!". They can get a snow cone when it is MY idea, and on MY timing. Tonight for example, Ryan didn't ask me, but he went ahead and invited someone over for a sleep over. It really isn't a big deal, but it took away MY power. Okay, so they were in the tent in the living room and I was "trying" to get Cole to sleep, and they wouldn't hesh up. I kept telling them to be quiet, then it seemed like I almost started yelling at them. I didn't really "yell", but I was sure getting pretty ticked off. Not that it was a big deal that they were up still and having fun, it was a sleep over after all. Its just the fact that I had to keep telling them to be quiet, because I was having a hard time getting Cole to sleep. Then Ryan thought he could just come out of the tent and sleep, when I told him not to come out any more. Again, not a big deal that he wanted to sleep on the couch, it just took away my power to tell him what he can and can't do. I struggle with this so much. I am doing a lot better than I used to. I'm learning that I can't have ALL the power, but I think I'm always going to want it all. I'm learning with kids, or my kids anyways, that I can't have ALL of the power, but I need some of it anyways.

1 comment:

Aaron and Rosa Lee said...

I know how you feel. you're not alone!