Thursday, November 4, 2010

Trials

So I was listening to a talk by John Bytheway called "rough start great finish".  Anyways he made up this poem, I thought it was funny and cool so I typed it up.  Maybe you have to listen to it for it to be funny, I don't know.

Some people like to wonder, why is my life so tough
Mortality is full of trials and every day is rough
They say, "Hey Lord I’m being good why punish me with trials?"
I thought if I chose the right, I’d have a life of smiles
So here are some things within a poem that we musn’t disregard
Which hopefully you’ll answer why our lives can be so hard
Nephi crossed a desert to find a place to build a ship
I think we’d all agree that this was not a pleasure trip
A wilderness, dark and dreary, lay before the tree of life
You must fetch Ishmales family, before you find your wife
A wilderness will always come before the promised land
Before they sowed in dark rich soil, they saw a lot of sand
The kind of things that they went through we go through now today
Here’s twenty-five examples of how things can be that way
You’ve got to eat the cracker jacks before you get the prize
You have to sit through drive through before you get your fries
I drove a Chevy Vega before my Honda Prelude
I had to take my finals man before I got my grade, dude
Before the eighty’s music came we had to go through disco
Before the Teflon frying pan we used to cook with Cristco
You do a lot of dating son before you find your honey
The bank officers will check your past before they loan you money
Enjoy the small apartment kids before you find a home
My franklin planner weighed a ton before I bought a palm
You have to pass the food court before you reach the mall
And I was really really short before I got this tall
It takes a lot of courage boys to ask the girls to dance
Without the risk of asking though, you’ll never find romance
The ugly duckling came before the really pretty swan
You’ve got to pull the dandelions to have a gorgeous lawn
Could take 300 Wonka bars to find a golden ticket
To eat that pile of chocolate, boy you’ve really gotta dig it
We shovel snow in winter time before we get to spring
Some guys will sacrifice their Jeep to get a wedding ring
It’s half a dozen previews then the feature presentation
And only after eighth grade trials comes high school graduation
Airport security must be passed before you find your gate
It’s odd but much of traveling is stand in line and wait
You’ve got to go through rush hour then you park in your garage
You have to do stuff for your wife to earn a back massage
Hours of piano lessons came before the big recital
The Cugars played the U of U before they won the title
Perhaps I should get to the point before this poem gets longer
I guess is what I’m trying to say, is trials make you stronger
So when you have a problem there’s no reason to complain
It might just be that all that’s wrong is for your eternal gain
Next time a trial comes along don’t gripe or write a letter
Just see what’s really going on, your problems make you better
I hope my amateurish poem my point will not diminish
Sometimes a rough start comes before a really awesome finish

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Luv it!!! Thanks for sharing it! :)